If you’re tired of moony YA vampires, here are 10 vampire books for adults that give vampires back their fangs. Some are sexy, some are scary, some are just trying to get by. None of them sparkle.
1. Butler, Octavia – Fledgling
The late grandmistress of science fiction brings her incisive blend of master storytelling and social commentary to this examination of race, genetic engineering, and what it means to be human.
2. Charnas, Suzy McKee – The Vampire Tapestry
An interesting and realistic take on a biological, rather than supernatural vampire.
3. Cronin, Justin – The Passage
A viral plague threatens to end the world in this critically acclaimed vampire thriller.
4. King, Stephen – ‘Salem’s Lot
King does vampires – need I say more?
5. Lindqvist, John Ajvide – Let the Right One In
6. Martin, George R.R. – Fevre Dream
Best known for his hugely popular A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series (the basis for HBO’s hit show A Game of Thrones), George R.R. Martin has also turned his pen to vampire fiction, and Fevre Dream, set on a Mississippi riverboat in the 19th century, is considered by many to be a modern classic of the genre thanks to its unique vampire mythology and excellent characterization.
7. McKinley, Robin – Sunshine
Come for the interesting dystopian worldbuilding and distinctly inhuman take on vamps, stay for the mouthwatering descriptions of baked goods.
8. Pratchett, Terry – Carpe Jugulum
Legendary satirist Terry Pratchett turns vampire legends, like so much else, on their head in the strange and wonderful land of Discworld, with hilarious results.
9. Rowe, Michael – Enter, Night
An ancient evil awakes in a down-on-its-luck mill town in 1970s Ontario.
10. Ward, J.R. – Dark Lover
If you love the sexy vampires that abound in YA vampire lit, but want something a little more mature, J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series should hit the spot. Yeah, that spot.
What are your favorite vampire novels for adults? Please share in comments!
- 10 Books That Will Help You Get Better Grades in English Class - August 24, 2017
- 10 Great Cookbooks for Beginning a Vegan Diet - August 24, 2017
- 10 Swoon-Worthy Historical Romance Novels Not Set in the Regency Era - April 27, 2017
- 10 LGBT Love Stories With Happy Endings - January 23, 2017
- 5 Nonfiction Books About Emerging Diseases - January 22, 2017
- 10 Gripping Nonfiction Books About Deadly Natural Disasters - January 21, 2017
- 10 Books That Are Becoming Movies in 2017 - December 31, 2016
- 5 Cookbooks To Make the Most of Your Spiralizer - July 23, 2016
- 10 Amazing Coloring Books For Adults - December 30, 2015
- 10 Great Play Food Sets From Melissa & Doug - December 10, 2015