Some silly, some serious, some surprisingly informative, these 10 books will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about one of our most basic bodily functions. Perfect gag gifts… or maybe even serious ones.
1. Bennett, Howard – It Hurts When I Poop! a Story for Children Who Are Scared to Use the Potty
Ah, the joys of potty training… New parents and non-parents may not be aware that many young children go through a phase where they become afraid to poop on the toilet and start deliberately holding their poop in. This book helps teach young children about the importance of regular elimination and how they can prevent constipation and other problems that make pooping painful.
2. Berkowitz, Jacob – Jurassic Poop: What Dinosaurs (and Others) Left Behind
Everything you ever wanted to know about fossilized dino poo and what we can learn from it, written in a funny and engaging style perfect for young dino fanatics.
3. Goodman, Susan – The Truth About Poop
If your kids loved Everyone Poops (and let’s be honest here, what kid didn’t?) but is ready for something a little more advanced, The Truth about Poop is the next step up. A huge variety of fascinating facts about poop in nature, history, and different cultures is presented in a funny yet tasteful way and illustrated with cute cartoons for elementary age kids. (For teens and adults, try the similar book Everybody Poops 410 Pounds a Year: An Illustrated Bathroom Companion for Grown-Ups.)
4. Jenkins, Joseph – The Humanure Handbook: A Guide To Composting Human Manure
Most gardeners know about the soil-building benefits of manure from livestock such as cattle and rabbits. What’s much less widely known is that human poop can also be beneficial for soil, when properly composted to kill pathogens, parasites, and other nasties. This book will teach you how to do it.
5. Meyer, Kathleen – How To Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art
If you know any backpackers, hunters, or anyone else who likes to tramp around the woods a lot, this may actually be the best present you ever give them. How To Shit in the Woods is a surprise classic that approaches its unorthodox topic with copious amounts of both humor and useful information.
6. Praeger, Dave – Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product
The cultural side of poop – an interesting, amusing, and well documented look into American attitudes about poop and how they affect us and our world.
7. Robson, Gary – Who Pooped in the Park? Yellowstone National Park Scat and Tracks for Kids
A fun guide that teaches kids (and adults!) to recognize what types of animal are in the area based on their poop. Recognizing fresh grizzly scat can save your life, so this book is a must-read for anyone planning to do some hiking or wildlife watching in Yellowstone National Park or the Mountain West!
8. Sheth, Anish – What’s Your Poo Telling You?
A field guide to logs, floaters, and other dumps, with lots of interesting information about how your diet and health affects your poop.
9. Wilson-Howarth, Dr. Jane – How to Shit Around the World: The Art of Staying Clean and Healthy While Traveling
A must-read for travelers in the developing world, with funny yet insightful tips on everything from avoiding traveler’s diarrhea and parasites to how to use a squat toilet.
10. Young, Daniel Cole – Kama Pootra: 52 Mind-Blowing Ways to Poop
A hilarious addition to any bathroom.
- 10 Books That Will Help You Get Better Grades in English Class - August 24, 2017
- 10 Great Cookbooks for Beginning a Vegan Diet - August 24, 2017
- 10 Swoon-Worthy Historical Romance Novels Not Set in the Regency Era - April 27, 2017
- 10 LGBT Love Stories With Happy Endings - January 23, 2017
- 5 Nonfiction Books About Emerging Diseases - January 22, 2017
- 10 Gripping Nonfiction Books About Deadly Natural Disasters - January 21, 2017
- 10 Books That Are Becoming Movies in 2017 - December 31, 2016
- 5 Cookbooks To Make the Most of Your Spiralizer - July 23, 2016
- 10 Amazing Coloring Books For Adults - December 30, 2015
- 10 Great Play Food Sets From Melissa & Doug - December 10, 2015