Here at SuggestMeSome.com, we try to spread the love and avoid promoting any single brand. However, Melissa & Doug toys are a step above many other brands in both their quality and the thoughtfulness of their design, while remaining affordable for most families.
Melissa & Doug’s wooden play food sets are among their most popular toys, because they provide children with hours of imaginative play, while also encouraging skills such as fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination, and helping you stock a wonderful play kitchen for young chefs to cook just like Mom and Dad!
Here are 10 of our favorite play food sets from Melissa & Doug:
1. Melissa & Doug Cutting Food
This set, which contains a watermelon, carrot, apple, bread, tomato, and more to cut into chunks, is really popular with Montessori schools because it teaches cutting skills, which encourages independence and helps improve fine motor skills. If your children love this set, be sure to check out the Melissa & Doug Cutting Fruit Set - The Original (Wooden Play Food Kids Toy, Wooden Crate, 17 Pieces, Great Gift for Girls and Boys - Best for 3, 4, and 5 Year Olds) as well!
2. Melissa & Doug Pizza Party
There are few things kids love more than a pizza party! This pizza party kit comes with one pizza, three different toppings, and a nifty wooden pizza cutter that your children can use to slice up and serve the pizza.
3. Melissa & Doug Ice Cream Scoop Set
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream! Children will love playing ice cream parlor with this set, which cleverly incorporates magnets to enable children to pick up scoops of ice cream just like a real ice cream scoop. The set features two scoops, two cones, four ice cream flavors, and a carton to store them in.
4. Melissa & Doug Sushi Slicing Set
Another great set that helps children practice their cutting skills, this set also teaches chopstick skills with a pair of chopsticks with velcro on one end to help pick up pieces of sushi. If your family loves Asian food, this is a must-have set! Another cool Asian inspired pretend food set is the Melissa & Doug Stir Fry Slicing Set.
5. Melissa & Doug Bread & Butter Toast Set
This nifty play toaster set actually raises and lowers the bread, and comes with 2 slices of bread and 4 slice-able pats of butter.
6. Melissa & Doug Slice and Bake Cookie Set
A perpetual favorite Melissa & Doup pretend food set, the Slice and Bake cookie set comes with a sturdy wooden cookie sheet and 12 cookies that young chefs can slice apart to practice their cutting skills and decorate with different frostings. If your children love this set, they might also like the Melissa & Doug Slice and Bake Wooden Christmas Cookie Play Food Set.
7. Melissa & Doug Grill & Serve BBQ Set
What’s summer without a good BBQ? With this play food set, your kids can grill right along with you! This 20 piece set includes a hamburger with toppings, hot dog and bun, steak, ribs, chicken, veggie burger, and more – perfect for hosting a summer picnic. If your kids like grilling, they might also be interested in the Melissa & Doug Grill Set, which features kebabs and allows children to practice their hand-eye coordination as they put meat and veggies on the skewer.
8. Melissa & Doug Waffle Maker
What’s more delicious than piping hot waffles in the morning? Now your children can make their own with this play waffle maker that actually opens and closes. The set also includes strawberries, chocolate chips, butter, and maple syrup to decorate the finished waffle with. For another breakfast-inspired pretend food set, check out the Melissa & Doug Flip and Serve Pancake Set (19 pcs) - Wooden Breakfast Play Food.
9. Melissa & Doug Let’s Play House! Can Opener and Cans
This small and inexpensive set helps improve fine motor skills with a working can opener and two jars with lids that really open after a few twists of the can opener.
10. Melissa & Doug Classic Deluxe Kitchen Playset
Now that you have a cookie sheet, a pizza cutter, a can opener, chopsticks, a waffle maker, and more, you may want a kitchen to put them in! This sturdy, retro looking play kitchen has lots of storage area for your young chef’s cookware and play food, an oven for baking, a refrigerator/freezer for ice cream, and more, and it makes a handsome addition to any playroom. For a smaller and more affordable option, consider the Melissa & Doug Cook's Corner Wooden Pretend Play Toy Kitchen (Great Gift for Girls and Boys - Best for 3, 4, and 5 Year Olds).
Which Melissa & Doug play food sets are favorites in your family, and which ones are on your wishlist?
- 10 Books That Will Help You Get Better Grades in English Class - August 24, 2017
- 10 Great Cookbooks for Beginning a Vegan Diet - August 24, 2017
- 10 Swoon-Worthy Historical Romance Novels Not Set in the Regency Era - April 27, 2017
- 10 LGBT Love Stories With Happy Endings - January 23, 2017
- 5 Nonfiction Books About Emerging Diseases - January 22, 2017
- 10 Gripping Nonfiction Books About Deadly Natural Disasters - January 21, 2017
- 10 Books That Are Becoming Movies in 2017 - December 31, 2016
- 5 Cookbooks To Make the Most of Your Spiralizer - July 23, 2016
- 10 Amazing Coloring Books For Adults - December 30, 2015
- 10 Great Play Food Sets From Melissa & Doug - December 10, 2015